Thursday 25 October 2012

November Challenge

So I have been away from blogging for a number of week (hmmm months to be precise) and i have missed it but I havent as well. I havent missed feeling I have to blog or feeling I have to read other blogs.

Having had some time off from the blog and coming back to it, I have thought a lot about why I started blogging. I think it was to find more support for ADHD.

ADHD is something that affects our family life.
My eldest son suffers from it.
I get very frustrated that ADHD hinders my son's ability to learn and concentrate but is not deemed a disability even though he is on the special education needs register.
We don't stand a chance of getting a statement of needs.
In order to keep his focus and for him to learn he needs support.
I find not many people really understand ADHD or how it affects the individual or their family.
I find people think ADHD is just an excuse of terrible behaviour.
I find a lot of the support / help sites are based in America and therefore the educational side is not always relevant or helpful to those of us in the UK.
I wanted to help to raise awareness.
I wanted to meet other people experiencing the same.
I wanted to share.

Have I achieved any of this?
Just take a look at my blog pages I set up and it is obvious the answer is NO.

So this November I have decided to set myself a challenge.

I will try and do a blog post daily about ADHD, or something to do with it. I am setting myself an ADHD blogging month!  Having written this, I hope i stick to it!!

1 comment:

Deb at Aspieinthefamily said...

I agree; much more stuff on ADHD comes from the US. I did come across Black Dog Tribe which has mentioned ADHD but I think its from the adult perspective. Interesting though. Re SEN and statementing, having ADHD shouldn't stop a child getting a statement; it should be based on whether your son is accessing the curriculum and making progress. If you think he isnt and have the evidence to show that, then I'd apply for a statement. Its similar with aspergers syndrome; its not treated seriously enough by many teachers. Fortunately our Ed Psych realised my daughters difficulties and supported our request for a statement and got it. Good luck with whatever you do. Deb