Friday 6 April 2012

A-Z Challenge E is for ......

Edinburgh



This time next week t'hubby, t'boys and my good self will be in Edinburgh. I am not very enthraled by the reason why but I am stupidly excited as it will be the first weekend away as a family in a hotel, just the 4 of us since Mini Man was born. Actually it will be the first time away just the 4 of us in 5 years. That in itself is causing excitement.

Secondly adding to that excitement is the fact I have always longed to go to Edinburgh. It's one of those places I hear people talk about or see on TV and I want to see. I hear it's got beaches, stunning views, the famous streets, Arthur's Seat and of course the castle. I can't wait.

From wikipedia here is a little bit about Edinburgh we have to look forward to....

Edinburgh is the capital city of Scotland. The city is one of the historical major centres of the Enlightenment, led by the University of Edinburgh, helping to earn it the nickname Athens of the North. The Old Town and New Town districts of Edinburgh were listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995 in recognition of the unique character of the Medieval Old Town and the planned Georgian New Town. It covers both the Old and New Towns together with the Dean Village and the Calton Hill areas. There are over 4,500 listed buildings within the city. In May 2010, it had a total of 40 conservation areas covering 23% of the building stock and 23% of the population, the highest such ratios of any major city in the UK. In the 2010 mid-year population estimates, Edinburgh had a total resident population of 486,120

Places to visit include Arthur's seat, Gilmerton Cove , Camera Obscura and rooftop terrace, Royal yatch Britannia, Holyrood Park is a unique historic landscape in the heart of the city, whose dramatic crags and hills give Edinburgh its distinctive skyline, which is where the run starts and finishes (see below) and of course the zoo and many more place.

The reason I am not so enthralled with the idea is on the Sunday I am meant to be running the Rock and Roll half marathon. I use the term 'running' very lightly though. I have never been a runner and over the last 6 months have worked really hard to build up my stamina and distance. I literally did it by making myself run one lamp post further each run and I got up to 6 miles quite comfortably. I then got very busy with work and was away quite a bit and for the last 3 weeks have had a horrid sinus infection I can't throw off which has left me tired, feeling pathetic and unable to breathe properly ad my running has dive bombed. The last 5 weeks of training so carefully planned to build me up to 11 - 12 miles has fallen apart and I am currently struggling to climb a flight of stairs without aching legs, let alone run even 2 miles. I am still going to attempt it. I am under no illusion that I am going to run it though but I figure if I do a mix of run and walk, maybe run 2 miles, walk half a mile, I might make it and its something to build on for the next time! I can only try, as long as I reach the end, i don't care if I am crawling.

2 comments:

TxYellowRose said...

Greetings from across The Pond! Found you through the A-to-Z Challenge. My E post was also about Edinburgh only from a slightly different perspective. :) Hope you are having fun with The Challenge!

Tinuke B said...

Oh wow! I'm so excited for you! I've started running very recently and found it doesn't come naturally and every extra step is a challenge.
Unknown you've had some recent setbacks but you've done the majority of the training and I'm sure the crowds and adrenaline will see you through!
I've been to Edinburgh and it is indeed a wonderful city, their beaches are amazing and the people are super friendly! I hope you and the family have a fantastic time!!